Monday, October 6, 2008

Bolton

The match started at 8:30 a.m. my time. I did not think my usual spot would be open that early so I waited to stop in on my way to church. It was about 9:45 when I stuck my head in the door. There were a few souls in already waiting for the "bigger" games to start and no sign of my fellow Iron. I could tell they had just opened the doors and asked if I could catch the last few minutes of my match. "Not on," was the reply. I think the live telecast was on Sky, which no one gets here. The owner checked the listings for me and saw it would be recast at 5:00 p.m. on Setanta. He assured me they would have it one for me.

So. I spent the rest of the day trying to stay off the internet, or at least away from sites where I could stumble across the score. Honestly, it is not that hard to avoid EPL scores in South Carolina. Everything sports related on Sundays is NFL and NASCAR. I couldn't check my EPL fantasy scores though as I was scared I would run across the score. The closest I came was a vision of a 3-0 West Ham win. Turned out to be wishful thinking, didn't it?

I sat for the whole thing, sans sound. The bartender obviously had a Marley fetish and the accent was on the third beat the entire time I was there. The wings were overcooked and the Carlsberg keg ran dry. At least the hippies in Vermont had sent down a fresh shipment of Magic Hat # 9 and the key lime pie was dense with limey goodness.

Etherington was an invisible man. Did he even play? I couldn't tell without the sound on. He was just another skinny, white guy running around, unlike the last match where he distinguished himself with his gainful activity. Cole was around the goad and had a nice opportunity that got away to go along with the good bounce. De Michele got tired. The defense looked completely out of synch and Bolton seemed to control the middle of the field for much of the match. They also made a fresh Bellamy and Sears irrelevant in their short time in. As for Mr. Green, well, we all have our days don't we? One day, there will be a shutout. It's hard to bet on one coming now though.

Once again, losing to a bottom half club is especially harsh. Doing so at home is worse. They have got to take advantage of this part of the schedule. It gets tougher I hear. Even on this side of the World, I hear it gets tougher.

No comments: